Now Accepting Video Submissions:
VAB accepts video submissions for the Post-Secondary Bridge Program on an ongoing basis.
Please see video submission instructions below.
Applicants should be 19 years of age, or possess a complete Grade 12 Diploma or equivalent. If under 19, applicant must have parent or legal guardian’s consent and signature on the enrollment agreement and be able to demonstrate the maturity and technical ability required for the Bridge Program. All applicants must have a valid passport and, for International Students, an updated study permit.
Admission is through a successful audition, interview and print application.
All applicants must provide an audition package including;
- Documentation of a student’s dance and training history in résumé/CV format
- Confirmation of advanced technical ability and performance level via audition(s) in person, through video, and/or a short-term trial process (e.g. Professional Summer Intensive Program), or a letter of recommendation from a licensed professional.
- Must demonstrate the potential to become a professional dancer as well as reaching a high level of ballet technique acceptable to the Program Director.
Must keep a valid passport and, for International Students, also an updated study permit.
The audition may be done in person or by the submission of a video link that follows standard ballet criteria and protocols. Auditions will be conducted by the Director and/or the Bridge Program Director.
Applicants submitting a Video audition should wear proper classical attire (leotard and pink tights). The video should be no longer than 15 minutes in total and include the following:
- Brief personal introduction
- Barre work including:
- battements tendus & glisses/degages
- rond-de-jambe a terre & battements fondus
- grand battements
- Centre work including (women en pointe):
- ports-de-bras & adage
- pirouette both en dehors and en dedans
- small allegro
- grande allegro using spatial awareness
- batterie step
- A short, variation of either classical or contemporary choreography
Applicants will be notified in writing in a timely manner.
VAB does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, gender or sexual orientation.
About the Academy
Victoria Academy of Ballet (formerly Island Dance Studio) was established in 1990 by Christine Richardson F.C.S.C – C.I.C.B., ARAD. Now under the ownership and direction of Bleiddyn Del Villar Bellis, FCSC- CICB, The Victoria Academy of Ballet offers specialized dance instruction for children ages 3 through to the professional level. More Info
In September 2014, The Victoria Academy of Ballet moved into a new facilty in downtown Victoria BC. The studios are located in the in the city centre, conveniently located for easy bus transportation, coffee shops, restaurants and shopping. More Info
The Victoria Academy of Ballet welcomes students from around the world to participate in all of the Victoria Academy of Ballet Dance Programs. More Info
The Victoria Academy of Ballet Scholarship Society was incorporated in the summer of 2013 and achieved Charitable Status in July 2014. The goals of the society are to provide deserving Canadian/Permanent Resident dance students with scholarships and bursaries to assist with the cost of their dance education. More Info
The Cecchetti Method
The Cecchetti Method of ballet is a style of classical, theatrical dance based on the teachings of the great Italian ballet master Enrico Cecchetti (1850-1928). More Info